Penang’s Gold and Jewellery Industry has its history for over a century and well paying its role as the main contributor to the Malaysian gold and jewellery industry. According to industry sources, approximately 75-80 percent or 48-52 tonnes of the gold and jewellery in Malaysia are manufactured or fabricated in Penang, followed by Johor Bahru and Kuala Lumpur. Made-in-Malaysia exquisite gold jewelleries are often well-known and glitter in international markets with their special unique local design of the diverse culture background. For Malaysia as a nation, the major export markets are the Middle East at almost 90 percent, North & South America at 6 percent and European countries at 4 percent. Of the jewellery fabricated out of Penang, approximately 60 percent are headed for the Dubai market, with Hong Kong, Singapore and the European markets making up for the remaining 40 percent.